Saturday, March 27, 2010

Meeting with the Caterer

A few weeks ago my fiance told me that his brother's restaurant (our caterer) had fired their head chef. I texted brother's girlfriend (the one who runs everything) to see if she wanted me to start looking at other caterers since it seemed to be a pain to find a new chef and then be like "oh by the way, you know how we don't cater? Well, we are. And in less than 6 months."

I was a bit worried before I started looking because since they were doing it at a discounted price, that's all we had budgeted for and I know that was really low prices compared to Maryland standards.

After searching for about a week with repeatedly being informed that there was no way I could even serve lettuce on my budget, I stumbled upon a small catering company in PA. They have two 5.0 reviews on weddingwire.com, one from this past June and the other from this February. The website looked nice, there was a lot of information, and it even included pricing so I could see if it was worth it to email them or not.

Amazingly enough, they offered the right food for the right prices. So, naturally, I started to think that it was just too good to be true and the food would taste like crap. Regardless, I contacted them the next day and talked on the phone with the guy forever, asking tons and tons of questions. We set up a food tasting for today.

The food was really good. It tasted like homemade cooking and something that you would expect to eat at a dinner party, which is exactly what we were going for. We tried steak, manicotti, and chicken stuffed with crab meat. They were all really good but we both really liked the chicken with crab meat the best.

We went over the contract, asked a few questions and came up with a basic price guessing that half of our guests would choose one entree and the other half would choose the other. Its definitely in our budget and I'm really excited to have this over with.

We have until a week before the wedding to change our minds on the food, but this is what we've decided so far.

Appetizers:
cheese and vegetable display

First Course:
mixed green salad with ranch or italian dressing
rolls with butter

Entree: (choice of)
manicotti
chicken chesapeake with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and corn

Dessert:
wedding cake (not by them)

Drinks:
sodas, water, and premium bar (I need to find out what all is included under this, but its the middle option)


We're doing all of this for about $33 a person. Thats unbelievable! We didn't sign the contract, we wanted to come home and discuss all of it first, but I'm ready to do this now!

If you're curious (and in the area) its legendscatering.net

No comments:

Post a Comment