Saturday, May 29, 2010

DIY Cardbox...with directions!

Once my DIY kick started, it went into overdrive. I completed the cardbox today and the favor sign earlier in the week. All that I have left for DIY is the paper projects, the invitations, menu's and programs.

This is the cardbox.
Top View:
Side View:
And now I'm sure you're wondering how I made it. I got kind of tired at the end and forgot to take some pictures but the steps are pretty simple.

Supplies:
3 nesting paper mache boxes
exacto knife
white wrapping paper
chipboard letters (2 inch)
chipboard flowers
chipboard numbers (2 inch) 
7/8 ribbon
glue dots
ruler
pencil
double sided mounting tape
acrylic paint
paintbrush

Instructions:
1. Paint the chipboard letters, numbers, and flowers with the acrylic paint. I had to do 3-4 coats on each before the paint stuck really well and made the color that I wanted.
2. Determine the size of the opening in the top boxs lid. I measured the size of a regular card and added 1/4 inch to each side to make it easier. I measured on the box to make it even and drew lines with the pencil. Then using the exacto knife, cut out the opening for the cards to go through.
3. The rest of the boxes don't need to be as precise. I didn't bother to really measure with them, I cut large enough holes that the card could fall through easily. Just make sure that the holes line up.
4. On the bottom of the largest box I made a few incisions into the box so it would be easier to open to remove the card. I basically made it to where it was almost ready to go through the box but not in the corners to give it more support. I'd assume that you could also find a piece of cardboard a little bit bigger than the hole and tape it to the bottom. Then just remove the tape and let the cards fall out.
5. Wrap each of the boxes with wrapping paper. Cut the wrapping paper and frame the holes for the cards to fall through.
6. I used glue dots to attach the ribbon to the boxes. I spaced them about 1 1/2 inches apart. Make sure that if you have boxes with lids that you put the ribbon down far enough to be seen.
7. Here is where I got tired and forgot to keep taking pictures after each step. I added the ribbon to each box with the glue dots. On the middle box I used glue dots to adhere the letters spelling out 'cards'. I used glittery circle stickers to add some shine to these.
8. Using glue dots, I adhered all of the flowers to the sides, top and front of the boxes and also used them for the Mr. and Mrs. sign. Since I would like to resell this, I only used glue dots at the top of the numbers and stuck it to the ribbon so they could be removed without ripping the paper.
9. To stick the boxes together, I cut one 4 pieces square of double sided tape into 8 pieces (cut each square in half) and stuck 4 of them around each layer of the box that needed to be attached. I lined up the box to go on top and slowly pressed down on it until it stuck. If your boxes aren't cut perfectly you might have some tape overhang into the area where the cards will fall. I didn't want to cards to accidentally get stuck so I just stuck a small piece of leftover paper to each exposed sticky part.

Its definitely not perfect, I am not the best box wrapper but I think that it will serve its purpose and maybe someone will even want to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment